Pumpkin season is upon us, and with it comes the irresistible aroma of pumpkin spiced lattes wafting from every corner coffee shop. While these seasonal sips might seem like the perfect way to embrace autumn, they come with a hidden cost—sugar and unnecessary additives galore. Fear not, though!
I'm sharing the ultimate recipe that not only retains all the flavor but also enhances the nutritional value of your beloved pumpkin spiced latte. But before I dive into the delicious details, let's talk about why that seemingly harmless $5 cup of latte might not be so innocent after all.
Did you know that a Grande-sized pumpkin spiced latte packs a whopping 50 grams of sugar? Even if you opt for non-dairy milk alternatives like coconut or almond milk, the sugar content often remains high due to the sweeteners used in these milk options.
Rather than downing a cup full of sugar and unnecessary additives, why not indulge in a healthier version that will benefit your well-being?
This pumpkin spiced latte recipe incorporates superfood ingredients that make it the healthiest option you can sip on this fall.
1. Coconut Milk: This creamy delight not only elevates the texture but also brings a host of health benefits to the table. Dairy-free and perfect for those with dairy allergies or sensitivities, coconut milk is a mineral-rich, digestion-friendly superstar. Plus, it boosts your immune system, thanks to its lauric acid, which possesses antibacterial and antiviral properties.
2. Pure Pumpkin Puree: Opt for unsweetened pumpkin puree to maximize the health perks. Pumpkin supports digestive health and offers an excellent source of dietary fiber, keeping your gut happy.
3. Pure Maple Syrup: Instead of regular sugar, sweeten your latte with pure maple syrup. While it's wise to use any sweetener in moderation, pure maple syrup boasts antioxidants, zinc, and manganese, all of which strengthen your immune system.
• 1 cup of brewed organic coffee
• 1/2 cup of full-fat coconut milk (reserve the liquid portion for smoothies)
• 2 tablespoons of pure pumpkin puree
• 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
• 1/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1. Start by brewing your favorite coffee and then add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend until they form a harmonious blend.
2. Transfer your mixture to a stockpot and warm it over low to medium heat, whisking gently until it's delightfully warm.
3. Sprinkle a little extra pumpkin pie spice on top, and your homemade pumpkin spiced latte is ready to enjoy right away.
For a caffeine-free version, either use decaffeinated coffee or swap it with 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk.
Savor the flavors of fall without compromising your health. With this delectable, nutritious pumpkin spiced latte, you can indulge in the season's finest while keeping your well-being in check.
Say goodbye to those sugar-loaded coffee shop lattes and hello to a healthier, homemade alternative that's just as delicious.